Extension and simplification of reduced VAT rates; e-invoicing reconfirmation
The Belgian Ministry of Finance has launched a range of tax simplifications and changes. Many of these changes have already been announced in the past, and we’ve linked back to original blogs.
These will be implemented from 1 January 2024. A second wave will be launched next year following the upcoming elections.
The VAT changes include:
- Consolidation of reduced VAT rates, combining the existing 12% and 6% into a new 9% rate. This will affect:
- entrance to cultural events, amusement parks and similar
- Certain foodstuffs
- Hotel accommodation
- Rail, road passenger transport
- Water supplies
- Zero-rating of a range of fruit, vegetables, medicines, certain public transport and other essentials
- Permanent setting of a new reduced 9% rate for building works – currently temporary 6%.
- Confirmation of Belgian e-invoicing from July 2024.
Read more in our Belgian VAT guide.