Latest wave of taxpayers mandated for e-invoicing from 29 November 2022
Since 1 June 2021, Ecuador’s SRI (Internal Revenue Service of Ecuador) expects all transactions over approx USD 1,000 to be supported by an Comprobante Electronico (electronic invoices). The next wave of taxpayers mandated to introduce e-invoices from 29 November 2022:
- And income tax payers not yet registered for e-invoicing; and
- Businesses not subject to income tax but obligated to issue sales invoices.
E-invoicing was originally introduced in 2014 for certain taxpayers (e-commerce; financial services; and special taxpayers). It has since been possible for other taxpayers to register for the system.
Check VAT Calc’s global live VAT invoice transaction and e-invoice reporting tracker to see where else real-time submissions of invoices is being implemented.
Issuing an Ecuadorian e-invoice
- The taxpayer must notify the SRI and obtain authorisation
- If approved, SRI issues a Unique Taxpayer Registry number (RUC)
- Invoices include a fifteen-digit number, in which the first three digits represent the number of the establishment as recorded in the single taxpayer registry. The following three digits must correspond to a code assigned by the taxpayer. Finally, a nine-digit invoice ID number must be included.
- The taxpayer submits an draft invoice in XML format to SRI. In addition to invoices, credit and debit note, remittance and certificate of withholding tax are regulated through the system, too.
Central and South America e-invoicing
|Country||Date||Comments (click for details)|
|Argentina||2003||e-Factura Electronic Authorization Code system|
|Bolivia||Dec 2021||SFE Pre-clearance model|
|Brazil||2005||Nota Fiscal Electronic NF-e|
|Chile||2001||DTE tax invoice|
|Colombia||Nov 2020||e-invoice CUFE|
|Dominican Republic||2023||Mandatory e-invoicing phased introduction|
|Ecuador||2014||SFEP VAT e-invoicing|
|El Salvador||2022||Pre-clearance e-invoicing law passed|
|Mexico||2011||Pre-clearance e-invoice CFDI|
|Panama||2021||SFEP VAT e-invoicing with third-party agent required|
|Paraguay||2022||Marangatú, a pre-clearance e-invoice system started 1 Jan 2022|
|Peru||2010||Pre-clearance invoice; requirement for approved e-invoice agent|
|Uruguay||2019||CFE pre-clearnance e-invoicing|