DGI updates rules of pilot and deadlines for roll out of mandatory e-invoicing
Since 2021, a pilot roll out is underway of mandatory e-invoicing for all new taxpayers on the Electronic Invoicing System SFEP (sistema de facturación electrónica de Panamá). Part of the aim of the pilot is to withdraw the use of fiscal cash registers.
Panama’s system is built on the same processes as Mexico and Peru.
Check VAT Calc’s global live VAT invoice transaction and e-invoice reporting tracker to see where else real-time submissions of invoices is being implemented.
The Panama rollout will be as follows:
- Jan 2022 all newly registered taxpayers must enter the SFEP regime
- Jul 2022 all B2G transactions must be via SFEP
- Jan 2023 any pilot-registered taxpayers must use SFEP for all transactions except exports or imports
Key features of Panama’s SFEP e-invoicing
- A free e-invoice creation services is available for taxpayers B 1million(approx €900k or $1million); or less than 200 transactions per month.
- Suppliers must seek permission from DGI to issue e-invoices instead of using fiscal devices, and be granted an electronic certificate issued by the National Directorate of Electronic Signature
- Invoices should be converted into XML for live transmission
- Like Mexico and Peru, an Authorised Qualified Provider (‘PAC’) e-invoice agent must be appointed, or the taxpayer may use the free online invoicing DGI portal, Facturador Gratuito
- Each invoice is give a Unique Electronic Invoice Code (CUFE) number
Central and South America e-invoicing
|Country||Date||Comments (click for details)|
|Argentina||2003||e-Factura Electronic Authorization Code system|
|Bolivia||Dec 2021||SFE Pre-clearance model 1 Dec 2021|
|Brazil||2005||Nota Fiscal Electronic NF-e|
|Chile||2001||DTE tax invoice|
|Colombia||Nov 2020||e-invoice CUFE|
|Dominican Republic||2019||Voluntary e-invoicing|
|Ecuador||2014||SFEP VAT e-invoicing|
|El Salvador||2022||2019 pilot of govt pre-clearance model; 2021 completion target|
|Mexico||2011||Pre-clearance e-invoice CFDI|
|Panama||2021||SFEP VAT e-invoicing with third-party agent required|
|Paraguay||2022||Marangatú, a pre-clearance e-invoice system started 1 Jan 2022|
|Peru||2010||Pre-clearance invoice; requirement for approved e-invoice agent|
|Uruguay||2019||CFE pre-clearnance e-invoicing|